The paradise isle in the Indian Ocean: Sri Lanka’s economy rapidly expanded in the 1980s, largely due to the country moving to an open economic environment, resulting in a huge growth in the nation’s import and export sectors. Large infrastructure projects got under way, the manufacturing sector saw raw materials arriving from overseas and quality finished products being manufactured and exported to various parts of the world in large quantities. New export markets opened up for the world renowned Sri Lankan Tea better known as “Ceylon Tea”, Garments were produced for various internationally renowned brand names worldwide, rubber, fiber and other products in value added form too moved in large scale and import products such as food items, electronics and intermediary goods relied heavily on the movement of goods, through air and sea gateways all the way through countries world over.
With the rapid expansion in international trade saw the growing need for efficient supply chain solution. In this backdrop, the freight forwarding and logistics industry in Sri Lanka took on a vital and active role. The speed of its expansion created intense competition as well as haphazard growth. Many felt the industry needed direction, as the industry was unregulated and had no controlling body to ensure freight forwarders operated according to international standards. To confront the problems facing the industry at this time, a group of international freight forwarders gathered together and finally decided to form an association that would benefit the entire sector.
Based on a proposal for the formation of a freight forwarders’ association, in 1981, the Sri Lanka Logistics & Freight Forwarders Association (SLFFA) was officially inaugurated.
After SLFFA had been founded, the original members invited other freight forwarders to join the association, and today under its umbrella has over 115 leading industry players and is recognized as the apex body with an effective national voice representing the freight forwarding industry.
PAST CHAIRMAN/CHAIRPERSON SINCE 1981
- Mr. S.S. Kumar (1981 – 1984) – ACE Cargo (Pvt) Limited
- Mr. Ravi Emmanuel (1984 – 1985) – Harrisons & Crossfield Ltd
- Mr. A.C.W. Alexander (1985 – 1988) – Euro Asia Airfreight (Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Reyaz Farook (1988 – 1991) – Hecny Transportation (Pvt) Limited
- Mr. Hanif Yusoof (1991 – 1993) – Expolanka(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Diren Hallock (1993 – 1996) – Hecny Transportation(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Charles Wijesundera (1996 – 1998) – Dart Express Lanka(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Sumith Guruge (1998 – 2000) – Fritz Airfreight(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Romesh David (2000 – 2002) – Mack International(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Sunil Malawana (2002 – 2004) – Speedmark Transportation Lanka(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Rohantha Pieris (2004 – 2006) – Ace Cargo(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Niral Kadawatharatchie (2006 – 2008) – Freight Links International(Pte) Ltd
- Mr. Ruwan Waidyaratne (2008 – 2009) – MIT Cargo(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Tony De Livera (2009 – 2011) – Wings Logistics(Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. S. Mohanadas (2011 – 2013) – Dart Global Logistics (Pvt) Ltd
- Mr. Dushmantha Karannagoda (2013 – 2015) – Marine Transport Services (Pvt) Ltd
- Ms. Tania Polonnowita Wettimuny (2015 – 2017) – Hellmann Worldwide (Pvt) Ltd
WE ARE LOCATED AT
All correspondence to:
Sri Lanka Logistics & Freight Forwarders Association
37 D, Torrington Avenue,
Tel: +94 11 4943031
Fax: +94 11 250 7577